Shah Cheragh is a religious monument located in Shiraz, Iran. The story of its founding and its awe-inspiring decoration have made it one of the most popular pilgrimage sites in the country. The combination of these two brilliant elements make it obvious why it is called King of the Light. The jaw-dropping interior of this structure has millions of tiny mirror shards which bounce the light in every direction. It is estimated to have been erected during the 12th century but the courtyard and tile work represent relatively modern embellishments from the late-Qajar period and the Islamic Republic.
The museum in the northwestern corner of the courtyard, next to the monument, houses an interesting collection of shrine-related objects, including some highly prized old Qurans upstairs and an exquisite door decorated with silver, gold and lapis lazuli downstairs. In 1958, the original dome was removed, due to the numerous cracks on it. This was replaced by an iron structure in the shape of the original dome, which is lighter, and expected to last longer.
Even though Shah Cheragh has gone through numerous repairs due to damage by nature and time, it still remains standing to this day. It still shines bright and attracts pilgrims and tourists from all around the world.
(h/t) Architecture and design